The "8 oz"
While my photo is of the 8 oz burger, I'm going to base my review on the "Melrose" burger since it is what I normally order. The menu describes the "Melrose" as "6 oz house blend, wild baby arugula, garlic roasted tomatoes, and red onion marmalade." YUMMY!
1. Bun: based on texture, taste, and the way it complements the burger. Things that just won't do are: too 8 OZ : 4
2. Meat: looking for good texture, flavor, quality, and seasoning.
8 OZ: 5
3. Juiciness: applies to the overall juiciness of the burger including the patty, the sauces, and anything else that makes the burger juicy. But beware being too juicy might drop the score down. I want to be able to pick up my burger.
8 OZ: 5
4. Cheese: mmm... cheese... do I need to explain this one?
8 OZ: 4.5 (you have the option of adding cheese, I often add the bel paese or the cave aged gruyere.)
5. Fixin's: Everything else that comes on the burger from lettuce to caramelized onions and roasted tomatoes. Whatever it is it better complement the burger and be delicious.
8 OZ: 5
Overall factors are:
1. The Perfect Bite: how well everything on the burger comes together.
8 OZ: 4.5
2. Creativity: use of unique ingredients and pairings.
8 OZ: 4.5
Total Score: 32.5 out of 35
Now, there is a good chance 8 OZ gets such a high rating on my Burger Blogging O' Meter, because I just love the place so much. It is the home of my first gourmet burger... well, that's not 100 percent true, I tried 25 degrees in the Roosevelt Hotel before 8 OZ but was unimpressed. Or maybe the high score is because 8 OZ is about more than just good burgers. It's got a damn good Moscow Mule for one (with fresh ginger juice, swoon), and the non-burger items on the menu are just as good (if not better I dare say) than the burgers. You simply must try the short rib grilled cheese. This is not a request, but more of a demand. You can thank me later. Also I'm a big fan of the tuna melt - olive oil poached albacore, white cheddar cheese, add garlic roasted tomatoes, all on crispy grilled sourdough. I'll happily pay 9 bucks for this tuna melt.
Tuna Melt (please excuse the bad photo, this is pre-new camera)
Overall, I guess you can say I'm just a big fan of 8 OZ Burger Bar. Check it out when you are on Melrose, I'm pretty sure you'll like it.
peace, love, burgers, and happiness